Meet the Faculty: Reading and Speech Specialists

Meet the Faculty: the Reading and Speech Specialists for DVMS!

Mrs. Masker: Reading Specialist 

Where did you go to school?

“I attended Clarion University for my undergraduate degree and the University of Scranton for my graduate degree.”

What made you pick your field of teaching?

“What made me become a teacher was an incident that took place on the sidewalk of Shohola Elementary School. I was there to pick up my son from school and another mother was ranting about the kindergarten teacher who had sent books home for the parents to read to their child. I couldn’t believe that the parent was so worked up about a few small books! I felt sad for both the child and parent because reading was not valued in their home. Reading time had always been a cherished part of the day with my three children and I wanted the same for that little boy. I realized that I had the power to do something about the situation and that’s when I decided to become a reading specialist.”

What do you enjoy most about your job?

“I love that it is never the same day twice when it comes to teaching in the middle school. Helping students become the best students they can be is highly rewarding.

Mrs. Lockwood: Speech Specialist 

Where did you go to school?

“I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Speech Pathology and Audiology from East Stroudsburg University and my Master of Science degree in Communication Disorders from William Paterson University.”

“While growing up, I actually wanted to be a pediatrician so my major for my first two years of college was pre-medicine. Then I realized that although I still wanted a career working with kids, I wanted one which would allow me to spend more time with my own future children. I found that Speech Pathology was the perfect fit for me, as I love helping people improve their communication skills and I was able to work part-time when my own kids were little (and have summers off as well!)”

What do you enjoy most about your job?

“I believe a lot of people think that speech therapy is mostly about talking, as that’s what the name suggests. However, it’s actually so much more! I love how diverse the field of Speech Pathology is, and how I can work with not only school-aged students but also toddlers and adults to improve their communication skills. Speech Pathologists can work in a variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, rehab facilities, and nursing homes. In addition to helping to improve articulation skills, we help people with their fluency, voice, expressive and receptive language skills, social skills, and swallowing skills. For those unable to speak we help to facilitate augmentative communication, such as using an app on an iPad to make their wants and needs known. Speech therapy is a very fulfilling career!”

(Bonus: Mrs. Lockood is also an OM Coach and a really good one at that!):

“I also love coaching Odyssey of the Mind, which I’ve done for the past 11 years. I coach the Technical team here at DVMS, and my teams have made it to the World Finals for 6 of those years. Last year, my team took 2nd place in the World!”